Friday, February 4, 2011

First Pointless Post / Imeem, Nov 13, 2007 at 8:32 PM





Have you seen this, already? If so, "this link should get you to your ring, the code for those rings following below, because total webring ring navigability rocks my world. Until recently, this was a very simple post, reading

"Just setting up. Yes, I'm this guy."

the words "this guy" linking to one of my other journals. This was my way of saying "I'm this Joseph Dunphy and not one of the many people who have the same name", something that has, in the past, lead to much confusion and requests for basketball picks and stock tips. In either case, I have no idea.





(I took this. I like photographing flowers, a lot)


Really no idea. "Are you sure that you wouldn't rather I recommend a good book for you to read", I'd wonder. "Dude, cut it out. People will think that you're a nerd" ... imagine that ... "or maybe, umm, something else. How do you feel about showtunes, Joe?" "Why, whatever do you mean?", I'd ask, while digging into a nice, large wheel of brie. It was simply delish. But I digress.

Last night (I'm revising this on March 8, 2009 around 2:51 pm), I clicked on the link and found that Imeem had broken it. The blog was still up, but the link now took the visitor to a page on which Imeem was promoting itself. I tried entering a new link to my other blog on my profile, and found that Imeem's system stripped it away. Originally one read "Current Mood: relaxed", but this is annoying. Creating a simple link to an inoffensive site should not be a problem, and the staff at Imeem has made it one. Why? Is there some war going on between Imeem and Blogger that I didn't know about? Did Sergey Brin not invite these guys to a party? Did Larry Page run off with one of their wives? What's the deal, and why are my visitors being hassled over it?

I used photoshop on this one.







So, Imeem, guys - could we chill it? No more mini-hacks? Linking between sites isn't evil, it's half of the point of even having such things as blogs, or even the Web, itself. When it becomes anybody's guess as to whether or not a link will be hijacked by the service a blog is on, that's a direct attack on what it is that we're all here to do. In effect, the company ends up telling it users "please don't help improve the quality of our site, because we're just going to vandalize your efforts, afterward". Is it smart business to send a message like that?



To everybody else:

If you'd like to return to your ring on Webring.com or one of its competitors, the code for that ring should be below and who knows - it might even still work, having not been sabotaged by the staff, who I hope will have the sense to understand that these links are what is going to keep traffic coming to this blog. If not, go to this ring return page, and you should be able to find your way back.